Full Job Description
The Emergency and Hospitalist Medicine Physician Assistant will deliver primary health care in the Emergency Department setting to include, but not limited to, the recognition and management of common illnesses and injuries; and the provisioning of care across the health care continuum with emphasis on early detection, treatment, and prevention of diseases.
- Obtains and records patient history
- Performs physical and medical screening examinations
- Completes diagnostic and therapeutic studies
- Orders diagnostic laboratory tests, radiological studies or other therapies as appropriate
- Establishes diagnostic decision-making and initiates a treatment plan, which may include
- ordering medications, additional therapeutic modalities, etc.
- Coordinates patient care with other members of the health care team. Initiates consultation requests to other health professionals to provide more comprehensive patient management.
- Instructs and counsels patients regarding mental and physical health, referring patients to appropriate specialists/resources.
- Completes charting in a thorough and timely manner
- Adequately manages patient flow in the Emergency Department
- Performs procedures as allowed by state law and under the direction of the supervising or collaborating physician
- Works within legal, regulatory, and ethical practice standards
- Actively participates in Emergency Department staff meetings and risk management education
- Completes required courses, i.e. HIPAA, EMTALA and other CME /CEU requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Physician Assistant Certification
- Registration & Licensure by the New Jersey State Board of Medical Examiners/ Physician Assistant Advisory required
- Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Life Support (ACLS) Certifications
- Active membership in a professional organization preferred
- Ability and willingness accommodate scheduling needs including working extended hours, weekdays, overnights, weekends, and holidays
Knowledge and Skills:
- Medical and broad based clinical emergency medicine knowledge
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to effectively and successfully work with all emergency department and hospital employees
RWJBarnabas Health is an