Full Job Description
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Responsible for providing medical care as delegated by the physician.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Physician
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
1. Assesses patient health status including state of wellness, compliance with care plan and determines appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, 2. Provides acute and chronic patient care including taking histories, doing physicals, monitoring therapies, giving injections and medications, suturing wounds. 3. Triages patient calls and evaluates patient problems. 4. Responds to emergencies including the use of CPR. 5. Documents patient information and care provided in patient record and maintains patient statistics. 6. Educates patients and families as appropriate. Provides continuity of care. 7. Assists the physicians with surgeries in the operating room. 8. Participates in rounds at the hospital and responds to patient calls received after hours and on weekends. 9. Consults with other staff as necessary. 10. Maintains patient confidentiality. The job holder must demonstrate current competencies for job position.
EDUCATION: BA/BS, MS preferred. Graduate of AMA accredited physician assistant program.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one-year experience as a physician assistant in a clinic or hospital. Experience in orthopedics is preferred.
REQUIREMENTS: Current state PA license, certified by National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants, current CPR certification.
- Knowledge of acute and chronic protocols, administration of medications, delivering physical care following treatment plan.
- Knowledge of how to assess patient health and measure/record physiologic and growth indices.
- Knowledge of health promotion principles and techniques and patient learning measurements.
- Skill in gathering and analyzing physiological, socioeconomic and emotional patient data.
- Skill in accurately evaluating patient problems in person or via phone and providing appropriate advice, intervention or referral.
- Skill in evaluating and revising care plan based on patient changes.
- Ability to make responsible decisions within the scope of dependent medical practitioner.
- Ability to develop health education programs and materials.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all members of the health care team.
ENVIRONMENTAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: Normal office environment. Some travel within community.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS: Requires sitting and standing associated with a normal office environment. Some bending and stretching required. Manual dexterity using a calculator and computer keyboard. This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions may change as needs evolve.