Full Job Description
JOB TITLE: Advance Practice Provider
REPORTS TO: Physician/APP Practice Med Director/COO
DIRECT REPORTS: Not Applicable
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Practice Medical Director and Physician, and in collaboration with the COO, provide comprehensive medical services to patients of JWM NEUROLOGY.
Clinical Quality & Competence
- Work under the medical direction of the health center physician to offer primary medical care to patients following the standardized medical protocols and administrative procedures of JWM NEUROLOGY.
- Perform clinical assessments and case management services, which include interpretation of histories, initial and periodic examinations, and management of medical, care regimens that are within the approved skills profile and/or scope of practice.
- Be responsible for patient follow-up according to JWM NEUROLOGY protocols.
- Dispense all drugs under his/her accountability.
- Open to serving as a preceptor to medical and paraprofessional students placed with JWM NEUROLOGY.
- Facilitate transfer of care to other JWM NEUROLOGY clinicians when religious/personal beliefs interfere with the clinician’s ability to offer full care options (i.e. abortion referral, contraceptive management, etc.).
- Adhere to JWM NEUROLOGY Medical Staff Bylaws
- Utilize medical staff protocols for referral to JWM NEUROLOGY physicians and specialists, follow-up and quality assurance.
- Agree to comply with adopted JWM NEUROLOGY clinical guidelines
- Work closely with Health Educator to provide appropriate health education and follow-up to patients.
- Assist the Practice Manager and the Chief Medical Officer with employee evaluations for Staffs and Medical Assistants as needed.
- Be responsible for attending continuing education programs and provide evidence of necessary education completion to upgrade medical skills and maintain licensing requirements.
- Assist the Chief Executive and /or Chief Medical Officer in program development as requested.
- Participate in Quality Assurance Program including audits, peer review, patient satisfaction, protocol development and in-servicing training.
- Contribute to the success of JWM NEUROLOGY by participating in quality improvements activities.
- Attend meetings and other in service training as established by the Chief Medical Officer.
- Complete legible and legally defensible medical records in a timely manner on a daily basis.
- Participate in utilization review and management.
- Display knowledge of normal signs of human development and ability to assess and provide age appropriate care.
20. Perform other duties as requested
21. Comply with all regulations regarding corporate integrity and security obligations. Report unethical, fraudulent or unlawful behavior or activity.
Measured by peer review, patient satisfaction, credentialing, QM activities and collaboration with supervising physician
Productivity & Practice Management
- Maintain productivity standards within 10% of the practice goal and/or as required.
- Perform in high volume and emergency situations as applicable.
- Start clinic on or before the scheduled time.
- Show up at meetings as required on or before the scheduled time.
- Coordinates communication during the following situations:
- Calls if he/she is going to be late.
- Signs out patients to the appropriate clinician/nursing staff for call or follow-up.
- Gives appropriate notice as required by JWM NEUROLOGY for time off.
- Responds to pages in a timely manner during working hours and while on-call.
- Works with staff to facilitate prescription refills, paperwork completion.
- Accepts additional patients into the schedule when necessary.
- Accommodates urgent patients including walk-ins.
- Minimizes rescheduling of patients; provides direction on what to do when it becomes necessary.
- Completes and submits all billing in an agreed upon timely manner (usually by the end of the day).
- Completes billing tickets to reflect accurate coding & charges of all services rendered.
- Agrees to follow each respective health center site’s Policies & Procedures.
- Answers messages and signs off clinical reports (consults, labs, x-ray’s, etc.) in a timely manner.
Measured by competency assessment, productivity, coding/billing audits, department meetings and staff input
Customer Relations (Internal & External)
- Respond promptly and with caring actions to patients and employees. Acknowledge psychosocial, spiritual and cultural beliefs and honor these beliefs.
- Maintain professional working relationships and behavior with all levels of colleagues, staff, clients and the public. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Refrain from negative comments about peers in public and in the medical record.
- Resolve conflict with peers and staff in a private setting.
- Demonstrate courtesy and respect to all staff without exception.
- Refrain from using foul and abusive language under any circumstance.
- Greets patients with a smile and acknowledges him/her by name.
- Sits while taking a patient history and listens to patients’ concerns.
- Conveys empathy both verbally and nonverbally.
- Conscientious about patient confidentiality in all settings.
- Assures that patients have all of their questions answered and that the treatment plan is understood.
- Be part of a team and cooperate in accomplishing department goals and objectives.
- Behave in a professional manner during meetings.
- Accept and be receptive to audit feedback and other types of clinical review
- Provide feedback to other providers about clinical issues and guidelines when necessary in a cooperative and non-threatening fashion.
- Is proactive in finding solutions to organizational problems instead of just finding problems.
- Maintain privacy of all patient, employee, and volunteer information and access such information only on a need to know basis for business purposes.
Measured by competency assessment, staff input, department meetings and patient satisfaction
Organization & Community Contribution
- Participates in practice building activities Participates in organizational committees and task forces.
- Provides input into the development of the Annual Health Care Plan
- Attends 75% of clinical department meetings and is active within the provider group.
Measured by competency assessment and strategic planning
- Maintain current knowledge of policies and procedures as they relate to safe work practices.
- Follow all safety procedures and report unsafe conditions.
- Use appropriate body mechanics to ensure an injury free environment.
- Be familiar with location of nearest fire extinguisher and emergency exits.
- Adhere to infection control procedures including blood borne pathogen protocols.
Measured by competency assessment
Skills: Highly effective oral and written communication skills. Ability to relate to and work with people of all ages, social and ethnic backgrounds and maintain patient confidentiality. Ability to work independently and as a part of a team and to inspire confidence and trust in patients and staff. Ability to share the JWM NEUROLOGY mission and team orientation approach. Ability to understand the patient needs as consumers of health care and focus service around those needs. Ability to work with supervisory physician.
Knowledge and Education: Possess the legal requirements to practice as a Registered Staff and a certified Staff Practitioner in Indiana. Current CPR certification. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred or as required by health center site.
Experience: Minimum two years clinical experience preferred. Possess furnishing license or must obtain within one year of employment.
Physical and Mental Requirements: Normal health center and office environment; see, hear, talk, walk, sit and or stand for long periods of time, reach, stoop, bend, lift up to 25 lb.; repetitive hand movement; use and view PC; use calculator, operate fax, copier, telephone and car. Read and write; verbal and written communication, basic math skills, analyze, prioritize, meet deadlines, and maintain high standard of confidentiality. Use sound judgment. Move throughout the health centers and community. Must have reliable transportation, a clean driving record and insurance as required by the state.
JWM Neurology, PC, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or any other protected class, political affiliation or belief.
I acknowledge that I have read and understood the attached job description. My signature below certifies that I am able to perform the essential functions of this position. I have also discussed any accommodations that I feel I might need to allow me to perform these essential functions.
I agree to abide by all administrative and medical policies and procedures (protocols) of JWM Neurology and all Hospital System procedures and protocols as assigned.
You may also be interested in these similar jobs
- Indianapolis, IN