Full Job Description
What’s next for you is the first priority for us! With over 45 programs from associate to doctoral degrees, South University is a private institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities that spark the intellectual, social and professional development of a diverse student population.
Our 120-year story—past, present and future—is a history formed by the many individuals who have developed the education and spirit of community that have become our pledge to the students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters of South University. Online and at our 8 locations and 2 learning sites, we take pride in our welcoming environment; one-on-one support and personalized attention that helps students define goals and identify the means to pursue them. Our small classes feature hands-on experiences that not only shape students’ skills and excellence in their chosen fields but also shape their characters through encouraging community involvement, volunteerism and the pursuit of life-long learning.
Visit www.southuniversity.edu today to learn more about what makes us stand apart as a place to Belong, Believe and Become, a place where you can make a difference in the lives of students eager to learn and grow.
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
The principal part-time faculty member(rank commensurate with experience) within the Physician Assistant (PA) Program is primarily responsible for course instruction and/or course coordination in the didactic and/or clinical phase of the program. It is expected that a principal faculty member will be effective in the areas of course design, course delivery, and evaluation. The principal faculty member is instrumental in assisting the program to ensure that students consistently meet the program’s Student Learning Outcomes to achieve competencies required for PA practice. The principal faculty member is guided by the Directors of Didactic/Clinical Education and the Program Director in assisting the program with curriculum assessment and meeting the Accreditation Review Commission on education for Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) Accreditation Standards.
The part-time faculty member works 20 hours a week with a teaching workload of 8-10 credits annually as defined in the Faculty Supplement. The incumbent must assure that the South University philosophy is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position, which includes quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and maintenance of an environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking, and expansion.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
1. Provides teaching and instruction as dictated by the needs of the PA Program and assigned by the supervisor or designee:
2. Coordination of instruction annually.
3. Lecturing in areas of clinical and/or professional expertise.
4. Providing academic advising as a Small Group Facilitator, Student Advisor, and facilitating remediation as needed.
5. Assists the Director of Didactic Education in the administrative coordination of the didactic phase of the program.
6. Assists the Director of Clinical Education in the administrative coordination of the clinical phase of the program.
7. Assists with curriculum development, which includes the design and implementation of the curriculum.
8. Assists with ongoing curriculum evaluation and improvement.
9. Performs student evaluations of objective structured clinical examinations (OSCEs), lab practicals, as well as clinical reasoning, problem-solving, and technical skills sessions during the didactic and clinical phases of the program.
10. Evaluates student performance of submitted assignments, including written clinical documentation, evidence-based medicine research, and health literacy projects.
11. Creates examinations for courses and maps exam questions to ARC-PA accreditation standards and the NCCPA Content Blueprint.
12. Provides input to assist with accreditation activities, as well as ongoing program evaluation and mission statement review.
13. Participates in the program’s admissions process to include student recruitment, student evaluation (through application review and candidate interviews), and student selection meetings.
14. Engages in service, community and campus relations, and scholarly activities appropriate to the role of a Principal Faculty (Part-time) member.
15. Participates in faculty development opportunities each year as required in the areas of teaching and academic administration.
16. Assists with clinical site development and clinical site monitoring.
17. Assists with other responsibilities as determined by the Directors of Didactic/Clinical Education, Program Director, and/or the Campus Dean of Academic Affairs.
18. Performs duties as assigned and outlined in the Faculty job description and in accordance with the provisions of Faculty Supplement to the South University Employee Handbook.
- Terminal Degree as a Physician Assistant, current NCCPA Certification, and eligibility for state licensure as a PA required.
- 1-2 years clinical experience highly preferred;
- Experience in PA/medical classroom teaching preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills with student and staff populations.
- Superior organization, prioritization, and self-motivation skills.
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office Suite, ExamSoft, and WebAdMIT.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description. The individual must be able to travel out of the local area with an occasional overnight stay to participate in a variety of conferences and meetings.
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.Apply on South University's Website