Full Job Description
CentralCare, Inc. is current looking for an Orthopedic Physician Assistant to join our team at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas. Candidates shall perform essentially the same services as those required by any Army or Government service personnel with similar experience and in similar duty assignments. The Orthopedic Physician Assistant’s areas of responsibility shall include but not necessarily be limited to the following:
- See initial orthopedic consults: Order/interpret appropriate radiographic exam to evaluate orthopedic injuries and consult with Orthopedic staff when necessary.
- Brace or splint extremity injuries as needed and place personnel on profile or quarters in accordance with service policy.
- Provide a full range of Physician Assistant services in primary and specialty medical care within the limits of their training and privileges granted by the MTF (e.g., supervise and provide general screening and medical care and examinations of patients for routine, acute and chronic conditions involving any and all organ systems; provide immunizations; diagnose, treat, and counsel patients as indicated).
- Technically direct and provide care for a variety of diseases and types of injuries (i.e., acute, chronic and minor trauma), and the skills to recognize emergency conditions in order to diagnose, prescribe for and treat diseases, disorders and injuries, and refer the more complex cases and serious conditions to qualified medical personnel and perform designated treatment.
- Technically direct and teach other staff, provide educational lectures and participate in in-service training to staff members.
- Promote preventive care and health maintenance including annual physicals, positive health behaviors and self-care through both formal and individual education and counseling.
- Prescribe in accordance with approved treatment protocols and the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee approved medications and immunizations. Identify a medical problem and determine appropriate action to meet the problem, including referral to a physician.
- Perform specific diagnostic and therapeutic practices and procedures in accordance with scope of practice.
- Establish collaborative rapport with physician, nursing and others in order to promote and facilitate primary care services.
- Teach patients and family member?s healthy regimen and responsibility for achieving wellness.
- Attend staff meetings to provide case discussion, continuing education, and continuous quality improvement.