Full Job Description
Actively promotes a Lean work culture by performing team member duties to encourage consistent use of LEAN principles and processes, including continually seeking work process improvements. Recognizes the necessity of taking ownership of one’s own motivation, morale, performance and professional development. Strives for behavior consistent with being committed to Excela’s missions, vision and values.
1. Regular, consistent, on-site, and timely attendance.
2. Ensures the assessment of the patient and the direct and indirect care of the patient is delivered in accordance with all appropriate licensing boards, hospital policies, procedures, and all other professional standards.
a. Collects patient assessment data in a systematic manner, focusing on the physical, psychosocial, age, cultural and spiritual needs of the patient.
b. Performs systematic physical exam and history of present illness.
c. Documents assessment data, history of present illness and physical findings as appropriate in the medical record within established time frame.
d. Involves patient and family and other healthcare providers when appropriate directed by individual physician practice.
e. Prescribes appropriate medications based on the patient’s condition per state prescriptive authority guidelines and the Excela Health Allied Health Committee directed by individual physician practice.
3. Demonstrates leadership by utilizing the behaviors inherent to the practice of a professional physician assistant.
a. Solves problems utilizing critical thinking skills and seeks assistance from supervising physician as appropriate
b. Maintains accountability for actions taken
c. Effectively functions as a resource person
d. Functions as a patient advocate
e. Performs effectively in the role of preceptor for new employees
f. Assists in maintaining/decreasing organizational costs.
g. Completes competencies required annually.
4. Assists in the department’s compliance with state, JCAHO, OSHA and other regulatory agencies
a. Assists in the preparation for surveys/inspections
b. Participates in the non-punitive medication reporting system.
c. Ensures accountability for narcotics per regulatory requirements.
d. Participates in health system/office fire, safety, utility, hazard, and disaster drills.
5. Provides for patient safety in compliance with nursing, hospital, and physician practice guidelines and policies.
a. Utilizes two forms of patient identification before implementing any form of patient care
b. Assumes appropriate code team role during emergency situations
c. Responds effectively during emergency situations
d. Assists in maintaining a safe and clean environment for patients, visitors and staff
e. Adheres to infection control processes, including standard precautions to reduce the risk of acquiring or transmitting infections.
f. Practices the National Patient Safety Goals.
6. Participates in unit performance activities designed to enhance the quality of patient care and customer service
a. Identifies initiatives to improve patient outcomes, satisfaction, or effectiveness.
b. Assists in chart reviews/audits as needed for performance improvement data collection.
c. Supports initiatives implemented to improve patient outcomes and/or office efficiencies.
7. Manages the physical and psychological problems of the patient.
a. Identifies normal and abnormal findings.
b. Implements a plan of treatment and reassesses as needed directed by individual physician practice.
c. Evaluates the physical and emotional responses to medications and treatments.
d. Prescribes immunization per recommended schedules directed by individual physician practice.
e. Seeks appropriate consultation with others of the healthcare team.
8. Communicates effectively with physician supervisor and other healthcare providers to achieve desired outcomes and assures a continuous flow of patient care.
a. Initiates and maintains problem list and medication lists.
b. Assesses and facilitates consultation when indicated.
c. Directs patients to appropriate level of care and communicates all pertinent information in a timely organized manner.
d. Assists in identifying and utilizing resources and or social agencies for further treatment or rehabilitation.
9. Applicable to Physician Assistant II position staff Monday through Friday with call responsibilities, possibility of shift and weekend work.
10. Applicable to Physician Assistant III position staff Monday through Friday with call responsibilities, possibility of shift and weekend work, first assist in surgery responsibility.
“Ability to perform the Essential Functions listed on the Physical Conditions and ability to perform the Essential Functions on the Working Condition chart (see attached chart).”
Licenses & Certifications
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
You may also be interested in these similar jobs
- North Huntingdon, PA
- Eagleville, PA
- Philadelphia, PA