Full Job Description
The advanced practice provider (Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant) within the ambulatory setting works in collaboration with, and is an integral member of, a multidisciplinary health care team. The APP provides comprehensive care in the Medical Oncology ambulatory practice.
Assessment & Management
- Performs complete history & physicals and documents in the medical record.
- Orders and collects data using appropriate assessment techniques, relevant supporting diagnostic information and diagnostic procedures where indicated.
- The APP may serve as the first responder for both nursing and house staff in the event of patient status changes, orders, and in situations requiring procedural and resuscitative interventions.
- Assesses for risks associated with the care of the acute and complex chronically ill patient including: medication side effects, immobility, impaired nutrition, fluid and electrolyte imbalance, immunocompetence, invasive interventions and diagnostic procedures.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care team in making diagnoses of acute and complex chronic conditions.
- Manages diagnostic tests through ordering, interpretation, performance, and supervision.
- Formulates differential diagnoses by priority.
- Diagnoses complications and orders appropriate interventions
Formulates Plan of Care
- Identifies expected outcomes from diagnosis, and formulates and documents a plan of care to address complex acute and chronic health care needs.
- Utilizes evidenced based practice guidelines and protocols in an individualized, dynamic plan of care that can be applied across the continuum.
- Implements and modifies plan of care.
- Prescribes diagnostic strategies and therapeutic interventions.
- May perform advanced procedures consistent with privileges and competency validation.
- Documents/dictates key components of patient’s progress via daily progress note, transfer, and discharge summary, and or clinic note where applicable. (h&p, daily progress notes, plan of care, problem lists, procedure notes, acute event note, discharge summaries, in medical record per specific patient unit or service, death summary)
- Documentation is timely, meets acute care compliance standards and captures patient acuity.
Communication and Collaboration
- Maintains ongoing communication and collaboration with interdisciplinary health care team.
- Facilitates and communicates with patient, family and staff to promote continuity of care across the inpatient and outpatient continuum of care.
- Demonstrates Professional Practice behaviors including: preceptor/mentoring, education and instruction of graduate students.
- Seeks opportunities for active engagement in research and the analysis of evidenced based practice.
- Actively participates in Advance Practice Grand Rounds and specialty specific meetings.
- Maintains CEUs, and membership in a professional organization.
National Board Certification as a Primary/Family Care Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
Jefferson includes Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health, a dynamic university and health system with broad reach across the Delaware Valley. Jefferson is the second largest employer in Philadelphia and the largest health system in Philadelphia based on total licensed beds.
Through the merger of Thomas Jefferson University and Philadelphia University in 2017, our University includes ten colleges and four schools. We are an NCAA Division II university and an R2 national doctoral university offering undergraduate and graduate-level programs that provide students with a forward-thinking education in architecture, business, design, engineering, fashion and textiles, health, medicine and social science.
Jefferson Health, the clinical arm of Thomas Jefferson University, has grown from a three-hospital academic health center in 2015, to an 18-hospital health system through mergers and combinations that include hospitals at Abington Health, Aria Health, Kennedy Health, Magee Rehabilitation and Einstein Healthcare Network. We have over 50 outpatient and urgent care centers; ten Magnet®-designated hospitals (recognized by the ANCC for nursing excellence); the NCI-designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center (one of only 70 in the country and one of only two in the region); and one of the largest faculty-based telehealth networks in the country. In 2021, Jefferson Health became the sole owner of HealthPartners Plan, a not-for-profit health maintenance organization in Southeastern Pennsylvania. We are the first health system regionally to create an aligned payer-provider partnership.
Jefferson’s mission, vision and values create an organization that attracts the best and the brightest students, faculty, staff, and healthcare professionals, as well as the most visionary leaders to drive exceptional results.
- OUR MISSION: We improve lives.
- OUR VISION: Reimagining health, education and discovery to create unparalleled value
- OUR VALUES: Put People First, Be Bold & Think Differently and Do the Right Thing
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.