This job posting is expired. You can find similar job postings below.
Full Job Description
Physician Assistant Per Diem Emergency Medicine
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
The physician assistant (PA) is a licensed provider who has acquired a broad range of knowledge and skills through the successful completion of a physician assistant program. The PA is responsible for the assessment and management of various populations of patients, medical and/or surgical, including diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, development of appropriate plans of care and ongoing evaluation. The physician assistant works under the supervision of an attending physician and reports directly to the department administrator or chief physician assistant administratively.
The PA will perform in accordance with all state and federal regulations and institutional policies including but not limited to the BWH PA Scope of Practice, Prescriptive Guidelines, approved clinical privileges, and BWH PA policy.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
Principle Clinical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides direct care, counseling, and teaching to a designated patient population in the ambulatory, inpatient, operative, and/or procedural setting
- Performs complete histories and physical examinations
- Orders, interprets, and evaluates appropriate laboratory and diagnostic tests
- Develops appropriate plans of care and follow-up based on the outcomes of diagnostic, laboratory, and physical examination findings
- Orders medications and writes prescriptions according to organizational and regulatory policies and procedures
- Consistently provides high quality and timely documentation including admission and progress notes, procedure notes, operative notes and discharge summaries
- Performs bedside procedures as are appropriate to the patient population
- In some settings, the PA may first assist in the operating room or procedural areas
- Practices cost effective medicine in an efficient manner, maximizing available resources
- Discusses patient data with other physicians and professionals as appropriate in a multidisciplinary setting
- Demonstrates expert clinical judgment skills to function in an independent role
- Additional duties and responsibilities as required by the department/division
Non-Clinical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates professional collaborative and consultative relationships with other providers
- Follows all designated prescriptive practices and monitoring requirements with the designated supervising physician and administrative report
- Participates in departmental and organizational committees and programs as appropriate and attends all required meetings, in-services, and professional trainings
- Maintains superior interpersonal and communication skills as a member of the healthcare team in order to collaborate effectively with patients, families, staff, and community health workers
- Remains actively involved in continuing education with a commitment to self and departmental growth
- Adheres to all established safety policies, procedures, and precautions; identifies potential or actual unsafe situations in the environment and takes measures to rectify the situation
- Demonstrates understanding of procedures, policies, and documentation required to ensure compliance with hospital standards of care
- Additional duties and responsibilities as required by the department/division
For all positions that include direct patient care, indicate with an “X” the age(s) of all patient populations served
No Direct Patient Care
All age groups
Adolescence (13 to 17 years)
Neonates (birth to 1 month)
Young Adult (18 to 25 years)
Infant (1 month to1year)
Adult (26 to 54 years)
Early Childhood (12 months to 5 years)
Senior Adult (55 to 64 years)
Late Childhood (6 to 12 years)
Geriatric (65 years and up)
- The appropriate candidate will have successfully completed a graduate level physician assistant program (Masters degree) accredited by the Accreditation and Review Committee for Physician Assistants (ARC-PA) or such other accrediting agency as may qualify a graduate to sit for the NCCPA certifying examination
- BS/MS joint programs and those candidates with a BS and PA certificate are eligible, but ONLY for those who graduated BEFORE 1995
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) must be obtained prior to first day of employment
- Must hold a current valid license or be eligible for licensure as a physician assistant in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Must have or eligible for, and maintain, a current DEA registration and Massachusetts Controlled Substance Registration
- Must complete 100 hours of CME according to national and state regulations during each two year period of employment
- Must complete the BWH Professionalism Program within three months of date of hire
- Must complete the BWH Procedural Sedation Training if deemed necessary
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Must have the ability to work in a high stress, dynamic, busy clinical setting with changing organizational climate
- Must have the ability to be self-directive and to demonstrate initiative in addressing the responsibilities of the position
- Must have the ability to utilize appropriate problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Must be energetic and quality driven and have a proven ability to be a productive member of a team dedicated to providing optimal patient care
- Must be proficient with BWH computer systems as needed to independently perform daily tasks (EMR, Epic preferred)
- Must maintain the highest degree of professional judgment under the supervision and guidance of a licensed physician
Work settings may include ambulatory clinics and treatment rooms, inpatient areas, intensive care units, operating rooms, and/or procedural areas. There may be loud noises, noxious odors, and temperature extremes. A large portion of the workday may be spent either standing or walking and the position may require heavy lifting of equipment and patients.
The PA may be exposed to radiation, potentially infectious bodily fluids, and sharp instruments such as needles and scalpels. Knowledge of Universal Precautions and proper use of surgical sharp instruments may be required. The consequences of contamination from bodily fluids or from being stuck with a sharp instrument include the possibility of physical harm to the employee or others. BWH is a fast paced, dynamic environment with a very large and complex patient volume; exposure to stress in the workplace is expected.
The Physician Assistant I does not have any supervisory responsibility.
The Physician Assistant I does not have any fiscal responsibility.
While the EM PA can expect to have their schedule in advance whenever possible, scheduling variations may occur in order to cover clinical needs as they become apparent to the department/division/clinic. The PA may be asked to take call, pick up additional shifts, work variable hours, and/or provide backup coverage as needed.
Brigham and Women’s Hospital is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Primary Location MA-Boston-BWH Boston Main Campus
Work Locations BWH Boston Main Campus 75 Francis St Boston 02115
Job Physician Assistants
Organization Brigham & Women’s Hospital(BWH)
Schedule Per Diem
Standard Hours 1
Employee Status Limited Term / Per Diem
Recruiting Department BWH Emergency Department
Job Posting Apr 21, 2023