Full Job Description
I. GENERAL SUMMARY:
Reports to the Director of the Surgical ICU and the Senior Physician Assistant this position is responsible for the care of patients admitted to the Surgical Intensive Care Unit under the direction of the attending physicians under the rules and regulations of Massachusetts governing physician assistant practice. Under the direction of the Director of the Surgical Intensive Care Unit (or designee) the PA will evaluate and manage surgical patients admitted to the Surgical ICU, perform bedside diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, manage ventilators, prepare patients for emergent surgery, arrange transfer of patients to wards, and provide patient and family education. The PA assumes responsibility for critically ill patients in the absence of the attending physician in accordance with service policies and protocols.
II. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Obtains a detailed medical history and performs a comprehensive physical examination of all patients admitted to the Surgical ICU.
- Performs preoperative preparation and postoperative care of patients and reinforces information presented by the attending physician to the patient and/or family as necessary. Obtains informed consent for critical care procedures. Coordinates care of various general surgical services, orders necessary diagnostic tests, consultations, and procedures as indicated or requested by the attending physician.
- Performs postoperative management of critically ill surgical patients. Manages patients on ventilators and on dialysis, and patients with Swan-Gins catheters.
- Performs bedside diagnostic and therapeutic invasive procedures on critically ill patients as indicated or directed by the attending physician, including but not limited to, management of A-V fistulae, insertion of arterial, central venous lines, and Swan-Ganz catheters, wound debridement, and endotracheal intubation.
- Performs basic and advanced cardiac life support procedures as necessary and directs these efforts until the arrival of a senior physician.
- Prepares ICU patients for transfer or discharge, including patient and family teaching, continuing care and rehabilitation arrangements, writes discharge prescriptions, and confirms primary care or referring physician follow-up.
- Prescribes medications for patients in accordance with service policies and/or attending physician’s instructions.
- Under the direction of the surgical intensivist and the attending surgeon, executes a wide range of management plans for Surgical ICU patients.
- Dictates formal discharge, transfer, and death summaries for Surgical ICU patients for the attending physician’s review and signature.
- Participates in the education of students and residents assigned to the surgical services.
- Performs clinical data collection and analysis, and participates in clinical research supervised by the Director of Maintain a collaborative, team relationships with peers and colleagues in order to effectively contribute to the working groups achievement of goals, and to help foster a positive work environment.
- This position reports administratively to the Senior Physician Assistant of the Department of Surgery and the Administrative Manager of the Department.
- This position reports clinically to the Director of the Surgical Intensive Care Unit.
- Works closely with Surgical ICU patients and their families.
- Works as a member of the surgical team including attending surgeons, physicians, residents, nurses, and ancillary personnel.
III. JOB REQUIREMENTS:
A. JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Qualified in all basic and advanced cardiac life support standards as set by the American Heart Association
- Possess the ability to care for critically ill adult and pediatric patients with a broad range of medical and surgical problems
- Possess the maturity, self-confidence, and ability to follow complex patient management plans as directed by the attending physician.
- Participates as an integral member of the Surgical ICU multidisciplinary team.
- Eligible for state and federal controlled substances registration.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Graduate of an A.M.A. approved physician assistant program
- BLS Certification
- One or two years Physician Assistant experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed above, may be substituted for the above education and experience requirements.
D. LICENSES, ETC.:
- Certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants within one year of hire.
IV. AGE SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES:
- Possesses the skills and knowledge to provide care to the age group of the population serviced including:
- Knowledge of growth and development
- Ability to interpret age specific data and response to care
- Provide age specific communication
V. WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Outpatient clinic care area.
- Continuous exposure to sick patients and bodily substances.
- Work requires frequent lifting patients.
Tufts Medicine is a leading integrated health system bringing together the best of academic and community healthcare to deliver exceptional, connected and accessible care experiences to consumers across Massachusetts. Comprised of Tufts Medical Center, Lowell General Hospital, MelroseWakefield Hospital, Lawrence Memorial Hospital of Medford, Care at Home — an expansive home care network, and large integrated physician network. Please note that effective October 1, 2021, as a condition of employment at Tufts Medicine, all employees and new hires must have received their complete dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, unless they have been granted an exemption. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at Tufts Medicine. Tufts Medicine does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, national origin, gender identity and/or expression, marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation by emailing us at [email protected].