Full Job Description
Physician Assistant (PA) – Chelsea Urgent Care
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the supervision and direction of the Unit Chief of the Urgent Care department and oversite of the Director of Primary Care Advanced Practice Providers, the Physician Assistant (PA) is responsible for the care of patients seeking same day care to diagnosis and treat a variety of conditions, including infectious illnesses, orthopedic issues, lacerations, issues surrounding pregnancy, and other medical emergencies. The PA works in collaboration with a team of physicians (MDs), Nurse Practitioners (NPs), other Pas, registered nurses (RNs) and Medical Assistants (MAs), as well as a variety of administrative staff, providing clinical care under the direction of the Physicians of the day and in accordance with the rules and regulations of Massachusetts governing Physician Assistant practice. The PA is expected to facilitate a medical emergency response, if indicated. The PA will obtain patient histories; perform comprehensive physical examinations to evaluate patients, perform bedside diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, coordinate tests and consultations, implement treatment plans, communicate with referring and consulting physicians, perform patient education, and prepare patients for discharge. The PA assumes responsibility for adult and pediatric patients in accordance with service policies and protocols.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Obtains a detailed, accurate health history and performs a comprehensive evaluation.
- Orders necessary diagnostic tests, consultations, and performs procedures for which competency has been demonstrated and scope of practice has been authorized. Diagnostic tests would include but are not limited to imaging and laboratory tests within their scope of practice as indicated
- Prescribes medications within their scope of practice as necessary.
- Performs or assists in routine and complex procedures as necessary, including but not limited to phlebotomy, splinting, relocation of joint dislocations, laceration repairs, abscess incision and drainage, nail trephination, insertion of urethral catheters, removal of nasal, ear and wound foreign bodies, and anterior nasal packing as credentialed to perform.
- Writes complete and comprehensive notes on all patients using the EHR system by end of shift and discusses the care of each patient with the attending clinician as indicated.
- Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes in clinical care and/or clinical operations.
- Regularly participates in staff meetings and trainings.
- Supports research efforts in the Urgent Care unit to advance knowledge and to promote research-based practice.
- Independently seeks physician consultation for clinical issues and/or supervisor for management consultation as needed.
- Responsible for own professional growth and maintenance of required credentials. Applies evidence-based research and guidelines to practice.
- Maintains the standards and educational requirements specific to the position and licensure.
- Identifies own learning needs and goals.
- Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current health care practice/research.
- Assumes other duties as assigned.
No direct supervisory responsibilities. Play a role in the education of medical students in the Urgent Care Department. Assist the nursing and house staff in patient education. Teach and assist other members of the Urgent Care team in performance of specialized diagnostic procedures.
No direct fiscal responsibilities; however, is responsible for prudent fiscal management of program resources (e.g. employee overtime, supplies, etc.).
The above is intended to describe the general contents and requirements of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all duties, responsibilities or skills of personnel so classified.
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Current Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification. Possess the ability to care for acute and sub-acute adult and pediatric patients with a broad range of medical problems. Possess the ability to follow complex patient management plans as directed by the attending physician. Eligible for state and federally controlled substances registration. Diagnose and treat health problems; obtain patient histories, perform comprehensive physical exams, do simple diagnostic tests, prepare a diagnosis and implement treatment procedures for illnesses; and prescribe medications. The staff member must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his/her assigned unit.
Well ventilated, well-lit clinical treatment rooms. Work requires contact with needles and other sharp instruments, electric-cautery devices, monitoring devices, and other state-of-the-art equipment.
Graduate of an accredited American Medical Association-approved Physician Assistant training program. A college degree is required. Must be certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants within one year of hire; must maintain this certification by completing required 100 hours of Continuing Medical Education credits every two years. In addition, PA must demonstrate continued competence by passing a re-certification exam every six years.
EXPERIENCE: Specify minimum creditable years of experience and clearly indicate if preferred or required
Prior experience as a NP PA in urgent care or emergency settings preferred[MJ1]
This position reports directly to the Unit Chief of Urgent Care and has a relationship with both the Nursing Manager and the Practice Manager. Works closely with adult and pediatric Urgent Care patients and their families. Works as a member of the urgent care team including attending physicians, residents, nurses, students, and ancillary personnel.
By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
You may also be interested in these similar jobs
- Somerville, MA