Full Job Description
The Radiology Department intends to hire for two positions at either the Physician Assistant or Physician Assistant Supervisor, based on the qualifications of the successful candidate. Please indicate in your cover letter the position you wish to be considered for or indicate both.
The University of Iowa Department of Radiology has a leadership opportunity for a Physician Assistant Supervisor.
The candidate of choice must demonstrate leadership skills and clinical excellence as an Advanced Practice Provider. Responsible for supervisory and administrative practices, human resources functions, clinical evaluation, role optimization, advocacy and education related to APP practice and profession development within the Department of Radiology.
In addition to supervisory skills, perform direct patient care including diagnostic and therapeutic services with physician supervision. Within the Physician Assistant (PA)/Physician relationship, exercise autonomy in medical decision-making and services provided. Assist in educating healthcare students, residents, and fellows as they rotate through the respective departments and divisions. To assist in research endeavors as appropriate.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works collaboratively with the interventional radiology division director and department leadership
- Supervise the care delivered by department PAs and/or other members of the health care team
- Works with leadership, physicians, unit managers and staff to educate, promote, utilize, and optimize the APP, at the highest level of practice, in a team model of care
- Assures and monitors adherence of Department PAs to regulatory processes and practice evaluation including: credentialing and privileging, internal standards, clinical protocols, compliance training and external professional standards. Complete annual performance evaluations
- Lead and participate in quality, safety, and process improvement initiatives
- Participates collaboratively as a part of the Department of Radiology leadership team in addressing significant issues and barriers that affect IR practices and safety, quality, and professionalism for PAs
- Promotes growth of PAs staff in areas of leadership, clinical excellence, patient centered care, education, research, and organization involvement to meet the identified specific goals and needs of the employee and organization
- Assist in the education of residents and medical students rotating through the IR division
- Manages human resource issues in a responsible, respectful, confidential and fiscally responsible manner including: recruitment, on-boarding, orientation, direction, supervision, performance evaluation, annual merit and disciplinary action
- Provide feedback and coaching to other team members to assure quality of specialized care
- Responsible for creating daily IR schedule including call schedule for PAs and trainees.
- Formalize and approve call hours/extra pay. Approve vacation and sick time in ELMS and make corrections to timecards as needed, for all PAs.
- Responsible for the hiring of new PAs in the radiology department. Including organizing interviews, developing on boarding, and training process. Make sure new hires have an appropriate orientation.
- Complete business plans/hiring request forms to grow our APP team – work with HR, DEO and CDA to fill positions
- Perform all related duties to the department PA role.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities required of individuals performing this job.
The Department of Radiology will be filling this position at one of two levels. The Physician Assistant salary is 7A, and the Physician Assistant Supervisor salary is 7A. You must indicate in your cover letter the level of classification (Physician Assistant or Physician Assistant Supervisor) you wish to be considered for or indicate both. See required qualifications for additional information.
- Regular salaried position. Located in Iowa City, Iowa
- Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
- For more information about Why Iowa? Click here
Required Qualifications (Physician Assistant and Physician Assistant Supervisor)
- Certification by the NCCPA.
- Supervisory and leadership experience.
- Previous experience with computer order entry, use of order sets and protocols.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Sterile technique and infection prevention experience.
- Strong clinical skills.
- BLS certification.
- History of building interdepartmental relationships and exceptional teamwork.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for an extended period for procedures.
- Candidate must be committed to the University’s goal of inclusiveness and have a demonstrated history of working effectively with persons of all races, ethnicities, nationalities, genders, gender identities, sexual orientations, and religions.
- Physician Assistant- At least three years of relevant working experience.
- Physician Assistant Supervisor- At least five years of relevant working experience.
Desirable Qualifications (Physician Assistant and Physician Assistant Supervisor)
- Previous experience in radiology.
- Previous experience working in an academic medical center.
- Understanding of safe work practices in the radiology area.
- Active Iowa Board of Pharmacy Certificate of Registration for Iowa Controlled Substances Act is desired.
- Active Controlled Substance Registration Certificate through the Department of Justice (DEA) is desired.
- ACLS certification.
- PALS certification.
To be considered, applicants must upload a resume and a cover letter (under submission relevant materials) that clearly address how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any conviction history and will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification.
For questions or additional information, please contact Ashley Fitzpatrick at [email protected]
The Department of Radiology will be filling this position at one of two levels. The Physician Assistant classification salary is 7A, and the Physician Assistant Supervisor classification salary is 7A. You must indicate in your cover letter the level of classification (Physician Assistant or Physician Assistant Supervisor) you wish to be considered for or indicate both.