Full Job Description
What’s next for you is the first priority for us! With over 45 programs from associate to doctoral degrees, South University is a private institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities that spark the intellectual, social and professional development of a diverse student population.
Our 120-year story—past, present and future—is a history formed by the many individuals who have developed the education and spirit of community that have become our pledge to the students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters of South University. Online and at our 8 locations and 2 learning sites, we take pride in our welcoming environment; one-on-one support and personalized attention that helps students define goals and identify the means to pursue them. Our small classes feature hands-on experiences that not only shape students’ skills and excellence in their chosen fields but also shape their characters through encouraging community involvement, volunteerism and the pursuit of life-long learning.
Visit www.southuniversity.edu today to learn more about what makes us stand apart as a place to Belong, Believe and Become, a place where you can make a difference in the lives of students eager to learn and grow.
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
Tuition Assistant Program
Long/Short Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program
Generous Paid Time Off
12 Paid Holidays
- includes domestic partner coverage
The Assistant Director of Clinical Education is responsible for assisting the Director of Clinical Education with oversight of all aspects of the clinical phase of the Physician Assistant Program. It is expected that the Assistant Director of Clinical Education will assist the Director of Clinical Education with meeting program and Student Learning Outcomes related to the clinical phase of the program. The Assistant Director of Clinical Education will work with the Program Director and other members of the PA faculty to ensure that students consistently meet the program’s Student Learning Outcomes. The Assistant Director of Clinical Education will work with the Director of Clinical Education to ensure that the program’s clinical phase is in compliance with all ARC-PAA accreditation standards pertaining to supervised clinical practice experiences. The Assistant Director of Clinical Education should work in synergy with his/her counterpart as PA programs on other South University campuses. Incumbent ensures the South University philosophy is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and maintenance of an environment that is conducive to innovation, positive thinking, and expansion.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Performs Faculty responsibilities as outlined in the Faculty job description and the Faculty Supplement to the South University Employee Handbook.
- Serves as an instructor in the PA Program; teaches and coordinates a minimum of 16 courses per year including clinical rotations
- Lectures in the areas of clinical and/or professional expertise; Serves as a small group facilitator
- Designs and delivers instruction in alignment with the South University model.
- Promotes student success by showing flexibility and exhibiting a passion for teaching and students.
- Provides input to assist with ongoing program assessment and improvement.
- Practices effective outreach to at-risk and/or absent students
- Manages the learning environment by keeping accurate records and enforcing academic policies consistent with the University, College/School, Campus, or Online Division
- Adheres to university policies as described in the Employee Handbook, the Faculty Supplement to the Employee Handbook, job description, or other separate guidelines.
- Remains in compliance with South University’s academic policies and procedures, educational policies, both SACSCOC and programmatic accreditation standards and state agency regulations.
- Serves as an academic advisor.
- Assists with the investigation of student problems requiring academic actions according to South University policies and procedures.
- Assists with the design and implementation of the clinical phase of the program to include assessment of the clinical phase of the program to include evaluation of student performance, preceptor performance, and clinical site quality.
- Works with the Director of Clinical Education to design and implement an ongoing clinical site development plan to ensure the program has adequate SCPE sites.
- Assists with the design and implementation of ongoing preceptor development and training strategies.
- Participates in the program’s admissions process including application review, candidate interviews, and selection meetings.
- Attends identified meetings with the Program Advisory Council (PAC), which meets at least twice per year.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Participates in service and/or scholarly endeavors appropriate to the role of Assistant Director of Clinical Education and PA Faculty.
Faculty Development Activities:
- Completes professional development and in‐service activities each year as outlined in the faculty supplement.
JOB REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Terminal degree as a Physician Assistant; Current NCCPA Certification required.
- 3 years of clinical experience required.
- 2 years of academic experience preferred.
- Experience in PA clinical training and administration and/or PA Education Administration preferred
- Membership in a professional association tied to the area of instruction (preferred).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to build successful relationships with students and faculty.
- Excellent time management and attention to detail.
- Excellent critical thinking, conflict resolution, and decision-making skills.
- Excellent teaching skills as evidenced in prior teaching evaluations.
- Computer based skills (i.e., software, analytical, and report writing skills) and experience with computerized learning management systems
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and successfully meet deadlines.
- Ability to develop professional rapport and work effectively, cooperatively, and flexibility in a diverse team environment.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret, and implement academic policies and procedures.
- Ability to resolve inquiries and complaints from students.
- Ability to effectively present information to employee, students, Faculty, Academic, and Campus Leaders, and Corporate Leaders.
- Ability to develop and complete projects without continued direct supervision
- Ability to physically work in the United States while performing all responsibilities of the position for the University.
- Ability to embrace change.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email, video conference, and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess.
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.