Full Job Description
Top Reasons to Work at AdventHealth
- Rollover PDO with service year increases in accrual.
- Comprehensive benefits package; including tuition reimbursement and matching 403b plan.
- Patient facing positions receiving company paid initial sets of scrubs.
- Company Discount programs
- Growing Organization
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Communicates effectively with courtesy when interacting with internal or external patients and customers—in person, electronically, and over the telephone.
- Exhibits respect for co-workers and develops positive working relationships within the practice, the hospital, and other departments.
- Demonstrates AdventHealth’s Core Values of Integrity, Compassion, Balance, Excellence, Stewardship, and Teamwork through daily interactions with patients and their families, and with the medical staff.
- Assesses patient health by interviewing patients, performing physical examinations, and identifying medical and surgical conditions.
- Obtains, updates, and studies patient medical and surgical histories.
- Provides continuity of care by developing and implementing patient management plans.
- Determines abnormalities by ordering and/or administering appropriate diagnostic tests, such as X- rays, electrocardiograms, and laboratory studies.
- Reviews and interprets patient test results.
- Provides pre- and post-operative care and patient education.
- Performs therapeutic procedures by administering injections, suturing, managing drains, dressing changes, wound care, and infection management in both the clinic and hospital settings.
- Performs hospital rounds on surgical consultations, pre- and post-operative hospital patients.
- Performs and/or assists the supervising physician with discharge services including discharge planning, discharge summaries, and coordinating post-discharge follow-up care.
- Serves as surgical first-assist during operating procedures.
- Lifts, holds, positions patients, and stands during extended periods of time in the operating room.
- Performs surgical skin closures, suturing, and related operative care.
- Helps facilitate smooth workflows in both the clinic and operating room settings.
- Performs hospital on-call services in support of the supervising physician on-call, including both weekdays and weekends over 24-hour periods.
- Assists in emergency care services directly related to the surgical specialty including consultations and surgical procedures.
- Instructs and counsels patients and relatives as appropriate.
- Documents patient care services by appropriately charting in the patient and department records.
- Contributes to the supervising physician’s effectiveness by being part of the team, identifying short- term and long-term patient care issues that must be addressed; and helps develop the staff by providing information, educational and growth opportunities.
- Serves as preceptor for advanced practice nurse practitioner students rotating through AdventHealth’s contractually approved programs.
- Develops protocols and processes to improve workflows and increase efficiencies in a risk-adverse environment.
- Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with policies, procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Proactively supports a culture of safety and quality to protect our patients and employees.
- Honors patients’ rights by following privacy guidelines, HIPAA, and code of ethics with our patients, physicians, co-workers, and guests.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal and professional requirements by studying existing and new legislation.
- Demonstrates commitment to professional and personal growth, i.e., completes all mandatory educational requirements, maintains certifications, attend continuing education courses/seminars, and acts as designated preceptor.
- Thorough knowledge of techniques required for diagnosing, treating, prescribing medicines for pre- and post-operative patients.
- Good knowledge in providing personal services such as meeting the quality norms, and evaluation of customer or patient satisfaction.
- Should be an active listener, learner, with critical thoughts, reasoning and possess good judgment skills to make decisions using scientific methods and tools to provide solutions to problems.
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Master’s Degree in Physician Assistant Studies
- 1 year in Vascular Surgery, Cardiovascular Surgery, or related specialty of the surgical department
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
- State of Florida Registered Physician Assistant License
- Valid American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- Continuing education required to maintain licensure
Provides medical treatment under the supervision of the physicians for AdventHealth Medical Group. Conducts patient examinations and follow-ups, provides treatment plans, and counsels patients. May, in some cases, prescribe medication. This medical care will be provided within the framework of the hospital’s medical staff department’s policies and procedures. Works with complex surgical patients both pre- and post-operatively. Assists in major surgical procedures and performs minor procedures.
This facility is an equal opportunity employer and complies with federal, state and local anti-discrimination laws, regulations and ordinances.