Full Job Description
Cardiothoracic Surgery Advanced Practice Provider (APP) classified as Level IV covering operating room, ICU, step down unit, and outpatient clinic. Operating room responsibilities: first assist in Cardiothoracic surgery cases and transplant.
- Hospital responsibilities: Preoperative admissions, consultations, medical optimization/ management, ICU, discharges.
- Outpatient clinic responsibilities: new consults, established patient care, and postoperative follow up visits, and coordination of follow up care with other services.
The Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant at Mayo Clinic also may perform the following tasks in any authorized setting:
- First assist in operating room
- Obtaining patient history
- Performing physical examinations
- Ordering and performing diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
- Formulating a diagnostic impression
- Developing and implementing a treatment plan
- Monitoring effectiveness of therapeutic interventions
- Offering counseling and education to meet patient needs
- Making appropriate referrals
- Prescribing and dispensing prescription medication in accordance with FL state laws and department policies
- Performing minor procedures and surgical procedures
- Demonstrates ability to assess data reflective of patient’s status and appropriately interprets information relative to patient’s age-specific needs.
- Assist with ongoing departmental process improvement and policy development
- Other departmental or institutional committee assignments as needed
Physician Assistant: Must be a graduate of CAAHEP (Council on the Accreditations of Allied Health Education Programs) approved university program. NCCPA certification required. Must be licensed/certified or eligible to practice as PA in the State of Florida. Nurse Practitioner: Master’s degree in Nursing required. (If licensed prior to 1998, Master’s degree not required by the State of Florida.) Must have current Florida Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (APRN) license or eligible to obtain Florida license. Certification by the ANCC or AANP in a specialty area required.
- Must have first assistance experience in the operating room.
- Minimum 2 years experience preferably in cardiac and/ or thoracic surgery.
- Previous experience with at least 1 of the following areas is strongly preferred:
- Cardiac surgery, thoracic surgery, heart/lung transplant, cardiothoracic surgery.
Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and possess strong computer skills. Must be flexible and willing to handle extended hours and on-call responsibilities (evenings, weekends, and holidays) if need arises in department.
License or Certification:
Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant license to practice in the State of Florida. BLS and ACLS required from American Heart or Red Cross. For Nurse Practitioners, certification by the ANCC or AANP is required and for Physician Assistants, NCCPA certification is required.
Education, experience and tenure may be considered along with internal equity when job offers are extended.
Monday – Friday 7AM – 4PM. Rotating weekends, currently 1:4 with approximately 1 night call per week. Work schedule must be flexible. Work hours and days may vary due to patient care coverage, extended OR cases, and clinic needs.
Rotating weekends, currently 1:4 with 1 call night per week.
You may also be interested in these similar jobs
- Jacksonville, FL
- Jacksonville, FL
- $110,000 - $130,000 a year