Full Job Description
- Examines patient, performs comprehensive physical examination, and compiles patient medical data, including health history and results of physical examination.
- Administers or orders diagnostic tests, such as imaging studies, electrocardiogram, and laboratory tests, and interprets test results for deviations from normal.
- Performs therapeutic procedures such as injections, immunizations, suturing and wound care, and managing infection.
- Performs other department specific diagnostic or therapeutic procedures.
- Develops and implements patient management plans, records progress notes, and assists in provision of continuity of care.
- Instructs and counsels patients regarding compliance with prescribed therapeutic regimens, normal growth and development, family planning, emotional problems of daily living, and health maintenance and other relevant patient education.
- Facilitate admissions, transfers, discharges.
- First assist in surgeries or perform procedures as applicable.
- Round on inpatients.
- Performs admission evaluation on patients to include:
- Obtaining basic medical information and history, reviewing patient’s medical record, performing physical exam, documenting findings into patient medical record, and reporting deviations from normal findings to attending physician.
- Provides patient and family with pre-operative/pre-procedure and other pertinent education.
- Answers questions regarding surgery or procedures, recovery and risk factor modification; provides blood transfusion information as applicable; performs peri-operative procedures; locates and utilizes diagnostic images, instruments and pertinent patient information.
- Reviews patient chart noting allergies, pertinent medical history, and abnormal physical findings.
- Assists in performing surgical procedures and other procedures consistent with the standards of care and practice guidelines.
- Depending on the specialty, may work as the First Assist during surgical procedures, start IV’s, and/or perform suturing.
- Performs post-operative procedures to include entering standard post-operative orders into patient medical records; assists physicians with evaluation and management of patient’s status during recovery; reviews vital signs, laboratory and diagnostic studies; assists with management of patients.
- Facilitates patient discharge; dictates discharge and transfer summaries in a timely manner.
- The Senior Physician Assistant provides a high level of clinical and operational expertise and may function as a mentor to less experienced Physician Assistants.
- May collaborate with the supervising physician, manager and other department members on performance improvement activities.
- Minimum three (3) years previous experience in the last five (5) years as a physician assistant.
- Graduate from an ARC-PA accredited physician assistant program.
- California State Physician Assistant License, issued by Physician Assistant Board under Medical Board of California by date of hire.
- NCCPA certified at time of hire and maintained throughout career at Kaiser Permanente.
- BLS certification required.
- Must have a Nat’l Provider Identifier (NPI), or obtain an NPI, prior to employment start date and meet current Medicare requirements for billing.
- Fluoroscopy Permit required, or must be obtained within 18 months from the date of hire in Orthopedics, Interventional Radiology, and Radiation Oncology only.
- May be required to have experience and competency in performing specific tasks required by the specific department.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Advanced Certification in specialty area, preferred.
PrimaryLocation : California,San Jose,San Jose Hospital
HoursPerWeek : 32
Shift : Night
Workdays : Week 1: Sun, Tue, Thu, Fri; Week 2: Tue, Thu, Fri, Sat
WorkingHoursStart : 04:00 PM
WorkingHoursEnd : 01:30 AM
Job Schedule : Part-time
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : NUE-NCAL-05|NUE|Non Union Employee
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Job Category : Physician Assistants,Nursing Licensed & Nurse Practitioners
Department : San Jose Hospital – Emergency – 0206
Travel : No
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.