Full Job Description
Grow your career at Cedars-Sinai!
The Smidt Heart Institute is home to a distinguished team of experts who are setting the bar for cardiovascular treatment in the United States. The Institute unites 16 centers and programs to diagnose and treat the full spectrum of heart and vascular conditions for all patients, from infants to those with advanced disease. Compassionate care is integrated with an agile research enterprise, giving patients access to pioneering treatments.
Why work here?
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center has been ranked the #1 hospital in California and #2 hospital in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, 2022‑23. Beyond an outstanding benefit package and competitive salaries, we take pride in hiring the best, most committed employees. Our staff reflects the culturally and ethnically diverse community we serve. They are proof of our dedication to creating a multifaceted, inclusive environment that fuels innovation and the gold standard of patient care we strive for.
What will you be doing:
The Senior Physician Assistant (PA-C) provides services to cardiac surgical patients. Manages patients both on the floor and in the operating room, acts as the first or second assistant, endoscopically harvesting veins or arteries for CABG procedures, transplant surgeries, opening and closing the chest, cannulation, decannulation, etc.
The Senior PA will be working with a large PA/NPs in the team and will be responsible to provide comprehensive services primarily in the step-down unit, operating room, and consultative service, and occasionally in the outpatient clinic. The Sr. PA will be working at both Cedars-Sinai and Tarzana Medical Center, a Cedars-Sinai affiliate.
- Responsible for the planning and coordination of all aspects of the work up and care of the patients in the unit including management of MCS and Heart Transplant patients.
- Obtain and perform history and physical examinations
- Record and interpret pertinent data (i.e., labs, diagnostic studies, discharge summaries, progress notes, etc.), including writing orders and discharges.
- Evaluate, treat, and diagnose patients under the supervision of a licensed physician
- Write a daily progress note on inpatients, collate inpatient records, and perform discharge summaries, using the electronic medical record.
- Participate in daily interdisciplinary rounds
- Coordinate ongoing overall patient care with physician staff, nursing staff and other ancillary care providers to ensure treatment plans are implemented.
- Assist or perform bedside procedures within the scope of service.
- Maintain communication with patients and families regarding care
- Experience in endoscopic vein and/or artery harvest required. Radial Harvesting preferred.
- Three (3)+ years of experience as a physician assistant (inpatient preferred).
- Five (5)+ years of experience with cardiac transplant medicine preferred.
- Strong intra-operative skills.
- This position does require incumbent to work rotating night shifts (inhouse) and weekends (inhouse).
Educational/ Licensure/Certifications Requirements:
Graduate from a PA program approved by Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation required
Valid California PA license required
PA certification issued by NCCPA required
DEA License required
Current ACLS certification required
Working Title: Senior Physician Assistant (PA) – Cardiac Surgery
Department: Cardiovascular Surg M/S
Business Entity: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Job Category: Clinical Operations
Job Specialty: Advanced Practice (PA)
Position Type: Full-time
Shift Length: 12 hour shift
Shift Type: Day
Base Pay:$76.50 – $122.40