Full Job Description
The following APPs may be considered for this role: Adult Acute Care Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
- Work schedule: Full-time, benefited
12 hr – AM shifts, 5am-5pm
Will work 14-16 shifts per month.
Weekends and holiday are required.
- New and competitive pay rates are now offered for this position.
- CME allowance: Full-time APPs receive an annual $2,000.00 CME allowance.
The Advanced Practice Provider will work with the entire multidisciplinary team to manage trauma and burn patients on the Trauma/Burn Nursing and Acute Trauma Care units. This will include daily assessments, orders, daily and discharge documentation.
Mission, Vision & Values:
UAB Medicine’s mission is to deliver world-class patient care to the residents of Alabama and beyond,
advance medical science through pioneering research and train the sharpest medical minds.
We expect all employees to adhere to our core values of Always Care, Own It, Work Together, and Do Right.
To provide medical care and treatment within established scope of practice to surgical patients as
assigned by and under the direction of the collaborating physician (Section 610-X-5 of the Alabama Board of Nursing Administrative Code) or under supervision of a Board-Certified Physician (Section 540-X-7 of the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners Administrative Code). The collaborating physician shall be available for direct communication for consultation and referral or arrange for the same medical coverage by a physician who is pre-approved by the State Board of Medical Examiners in the same manner as the collaborating physician of record. To coordinate plan of care, discharge and specialty referrals as appropriate to meet the age specific needs of the patient. To plan and coordinate health care education for patient, family and other health care providers as needed. To perform comprehensive physical examinations and assessments. To interpret, analyze and evaluate patient’s medical record and social data. To perform and/or assist the physician with procedures per collaborative agreement. To coordinate and participate in performance improvement activities.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Based on thorough physical and psychosocial patient assessments, formulates and implements
comprehensive patient care plans focused on surgical interventions. Plans include patient and
family education, prescriptions, additional lab and diagnostic testing, and therapies.
2. Ensures complete documentation of patient assessments, patient care plans, and care provided.
3. Orders and interprets laboratory and other diagnostic tests for the patient.
4. Maintains records and reports as required by regulatory agencies and The Joint Commission (TJC). May coordinate and/or participate in performance and quality improvement activities.
5. May assist in the coordination of research protocols, serving as a patient advocate and a liaison between the patient and other health care providers.
6. Provides assistance in orientation and/or training of new clinical personnel as needed. Provides
educational information by conducting workshops, in-service training and distributing appropriate
materials for patients and staff.
7. Serves as the expert clinical resource to clinical staff and patients in the area of specialty.
8. Provides a safe environment for patients and others.
9. Demonstrates a responsible attitude toward continued professional growth.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Position Requirements: Minimum Requirements: Master’s degree in Nursing with an Acute Care NP certification or graduate from an accredited Physician Assistant program required. Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement. Licenses/Certifications/Registrations: Currently certified as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) with Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner (CRNP) Acute Care Specialty by the Alabama Board of Nursing or licensed as a Physician Assistant by the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners with certification as a Physician Assistant (PA-C) by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants required. Certified in Basic Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart Association (AHA) is required or should be obtained within 30 days of employment. Depending on the unit/department, Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification and/or Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) from the American Heart Association (AHA) may be required. Knowledge / Skills / Abilities: Knowledge of procedures, protocols, information and techniques needed to diagnose and treat human injuries, disease and deformities Knowledge and understanding of computer systems, tools and programs Written and verbal communication skills Interpersonal skills Ability to be self-directed/self-motivated Ability to multi-task Ability to problem-solve Ability to work independently Ability to work as part of a team Ability to maintain patient confidentiality Disclaimer: Please Note: The duties and responsibilities described are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned to the employee as necessitated by business demands. This job description does not constitute a contract of employment or otherwise limit UAB’s employment-at-will rights at any time. Employees are expected to comply with all UAB policies and procedures during their employment.
UA Health Services Foundation (UAHSF) is proud to be an AA/EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer.